10.12.09




For love was offered me and I shrank from its disillusionment;
Sorrow knocked at my door, but I was afraid;
Ambition called to me, but I dreaded the chances.
Yet all the while I hungered for meaning in my life.
And now I know that we must lift the sail
And catch the winds of destiny
Wherever they drive the boat.
To put meaning in one's life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
Of restlessness and vague desire --
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid.
L`amore mi si offrì e io
mi ritrassi dal suo inganno;
il dolore bussò alla mia porta
e io ebbi paura;
l`ambizione mi chiamò
ma io temetti gli imprevisti.
Malgrado tutto avevo fame
di un significato nella vita.
E adesso so che bisogna
alzare le vele
e prendere i venti del destino
dovunque spingano la barca.
Dare un senso alla vita
può condurre alla follia,
ma una vita senza senso
è la tortura dell`inquietudine
e del vano desiderio;
è una barca che anela al mare
eppure lo teme.
edgar lee master


1 commento:

  1. This is a great post. I just had one of the ‘Doh!’ moments and ran back to correct my own site before publishing my comment. You see my own comment form did not match what I’m about to advice. I get less comment than you, so never noticed any problem. I’ve changed it now anyway so here goes.

    study abroad

    RispondiElimina